Migraines don’t always hit at once or end immediately. Often, they come in phases and may begin as early as 24 hours before the actual head pain begins. Sadly, for those suffering from migraines, these phases just drag out the suffering a little bit longer. Let’s examine these phases a little closer so as to better understand them.
- Phase 1: Prodrome – Beginning as far as 24 hours before the head pain and other symptoms occur, it includes:
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Stiff muscles
- Anxiety and depression
- Sensitivity to sound and smell
- Phase 2: Aura – This begins just before the head pain starts and last less than an hour. Only 1 in every 3 people with migraines has this. It includes:
- Visual disturbances – blurring, zig zag lines, partial blindness, etc.
- Motor function issues
- Speech problems
- Phase 3: Head Pain – This phase may last anywhere from 3 hours up to 72 hours. Neck pain may accompany the head pain, particularly if the one suffering did not experience an aura. Physical activity may add to the pain that is usually moderate to severe.
- Phase 4: Postdrome – This phase is usually made up of the leftover symptoms from the previous phases. For instance, mood swings may continue along with weakness, gastrointestinal symptoms, and difficulty concentrating. Or there may be soreness where the pain once was.
Natural Migraine Relief
Here at Health Edge Family Spinal Care in Glendale, California, we focus on finding the underlying cause of migraines. It is often connected to a misalignment in either the C1 or C2 vertebra. If these bones are misaligned by as little as ¼ of a millimeter, it can wreak havoc on the entire body. Pressure is placed on the brainstem by the misalignment, causing communication between the brain and body to be hindered. By gently correcting the misalignment, we are able to help our migraine patients to see improvement in their symptoms or see their migraines go away completely.
To schedule your NUCCA evaluation, just click the button below:
Want to hear from real people like you? Check out our patient success stories.
Dr. Armen Manoucherian of Health Edge Family Spinal Care in Glendale, California is a Glendale Chiropractor and Upper Cervical Specialist trained by the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (NUCCA). He has helped many children and adults find natural relief in Glendale, California. His upper cervical clinic also serves the communities of Pasadena, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Burbank. He is uniquely trained to correct problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems. More information can be found on his website at https://www.healthedgela.com