Did you know that over 14 million Americans have 15 or more migraine days per month? (1) The pain of migraine headaches can lead to nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. These symptoms can rob you of your ability to have a normal day.
5 Common Migraine Triggers
- Hormonal changes – Migraines are frequently reported around a woman’s menstrual cycle. This is thought to be due to a drop in estrogen.
- Stress – Stress can take a drastic physical toll on your body.
- Improper sleep – Too little or too much sleep can lead to migraine symptoms.
- Certain foods/Meal habits – Processed food, aged cheese, and salty meals can all contribute to migraines. Avoiding meals can also cause these symptoms.
- Food additives – Preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and aspartame can trigger an attack.
Typical migraine management is focused on avoiding potential triggers and medication for pain relief. While these methods can be effective short-term solutions, many patients are seeking alternative methods to address the underlying cause of their migraines.
Your Spine and Migraines
Did you know that your spine is responsible for protecting your spinal cord? Your spinal cord is responsible for sending messages to and from your brain. Proper function of your spinal cord is integral to your health. When the top bone in your spine (atlas) misaligns, this creates pressure within your spinal cord. This pressure causes the messages going to and from your brain to be distorted. This may lead to increased muscle tension, pain in the head or face, and other migraine symptoms.
Dr. Armen Manoucherian is a specialist in NUCCA – a specific chiropractic technique designed to locate and correct atlas misalignments. NUCCA involves a very gentle and specific atlas correction with no popping or cracking. Through realigning the atlas, the pressure in the spinal cord is reduced, allowing proper messages to be sent to and from the brain. This may lead to a reduction in migraine symptoms.
Bernard et al. described a case report of a 16-year-old girl who presented with chronic migraine headaches. She complained of having migraines of 2-3 hours duration 1-2 times per week. After 16 visits with 5 atlas corrections, her migraine frequency and duration decreased. She reported only having mild migraines 2-4 times per month. (3)
If migraines are affecting your daily life, give Dr. Manoucherian a call at 734-241-1111.
- Radcliffe S. Promising New Drugs May Stop Migraines Before They Start [Internet]. Healthline. 2015 [cited 1 December 2015]. Available from: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/promising-new-drugs-may-stop-migraines-before-they-start-113015#1
- Mayoclinic.org. Migraine Causes – Mayo Clinic [Internet]. 2013 [cited 1 December 2015]. Available from: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/basics/causes/con-20026358
- Bernard M, Alcantara J, Pierce S. The Care of a Teenage Girl with Migraine Headaches with the Advanced Orthogonal Procedure: A Case Report. J Upper Cerv Chiro Res [Internet]. 2013 [cited 1 December 2015];2013(January):14-19. Available from: https://uppercervicalsubluxation.sharepoint.com/Pages/2013_1239_migraine.aspx
To schedule your NUCCA evaluation, just click the button below:
Want to hear from real people like you? Check out our patient success stories.
Dr. Armen Manoucherian of Health Edge Family Spinal Care in Glendale, California is a Glendale Chiropractor and Upper Cervical Specialist trained by the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (NUCCA). He has helped many children and adults find natural relief in Glendale, California. His upper cervical clinic also serves the communities of Pasadena, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Burbank. He is uniquely trained to correct problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems. More information can be found on his website at http://www.healthedgela.com