Migraines seem to be on the rise in today’s busy society. There is no time to stop and rest for a day or two until the migraine pain passes. As many as 39 million of those living in the US suffer from migraines. Of these, 4 million have chronic migraines, meaning they have a migraine for more than 15 days out of a month. The following symptoms often accompany a migraine:
- Throbbing or pulsating head pain, usually one-sided (not always)
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and some odors
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dizziness or vertigo
Triggers for Migraines
For some people, food can be a trigger for migraines. While a trigger doesn’t cause a migraine, if experienced, it can bring on a migraine. It is a good idea to keep track of things that you have eaten before a migraine attack to see if a pattern develops. This can help you to avoid migraines by avoiding your triggers. What are some common triggers for migraines?
- Citrus fruit
- MSG – found mostly in Chinese food or processed foods
- Alcohol – red wine particularly
- Aged cheese – these contain tyramine, a compound that interacts with neurotransmitters in the body
- Aspartame – an artificial sweetener found in many sugar-free products
- Caffeine – found in soda, tea, and coffee; too much or too little can lead to migraines
- Legumes – beans, lentils, peas
- Cured or processed meat – sandwich meat, sausages, and hot dogs all contain sodium nitrates that change chemicals in the brain
Is avoiding triggers the only way to steer clear of migraines? Thankfully, there is another option.
Upper Cervical Chiropractic Helps Migraines
Migraines have been linked to upper cervical misalignments, especially the C1 and C2 vertebrae. This could be due to a recent injury or something that happened many years ago. A misalignment here can lead to hindering the blood flow to and from the brain and body. Nerves of the neck can become irritated and inflamed. This is the right scenario for a migraine to happen.
Using a gentle method, here at Health Edge Family Spinal Care, we have helped many of our migraine patients find relief.
To schedule your NUCCA evaluation, just click the button below:
Want to hear from real people like you? Check out our patient success stories.
Dr. Armen Manoucherian of Health Edge Family Spinal Care in Glendale, California is a Glendale Chiropractor and Upper Cervical Specialist trained by the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (NUCCA). He has helped many children and adults find natural relief in Glendale, California. His upper cervical clinic also serves the communities of Pasadena, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Burbank. He is uniquely trained to correct problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems. More information can be found on his website at http://www.healthedgela.com